Home > Articles > Purchase Paperwork -...Back to search results

Purchase Paperwork - What You Need As A Buyer

Share this article

Getting the documentation right is a hurdle that can potentially derail your purchase, so make sure you get your paper planes in a row with our easy guide. Seek advice from your notary because there may be additional requirements.

What the seller should provide:

- An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This is compulsory and must be provided by the seller when you enter into the Konvenju. The certificate is valid for ten years. 

- If the seller is a foreigner, they may need a tax clearance letter. The notary should arrange this. 

- An identity card or passport. 

- A copy of the previous contract of purchase. If the seller inherited the property, they will have to provide details of the date of death, a copy of the will, and the ‘deed of declaration of transmission Causa Mortis’.

- A block plan showing the property and all necessary building permits.

- Receipts for the latest electricity, ground rent, water, telephone or television/cable bills. To register water and electricity meters under your name, the seller will need a special form for ARMS. Find it here. It is important that you get the number of residents right and that the property is registered as your main residence in order to qualify for the right tariffs. If you do not register all residents (including any children, you may end up needlessly paying higher utility bills. 

- If the seller is resident outside of Malta, they will need a tax registration number. 

- Your Notary might request further information from the seller such as plans from the land registry, letters canceling hypothecs (a right to the property) from banks, tax documents, etc. 

- If the seller bought the property with a spouse, both will need to be parties to the transfer and the marriage date will need to be recorded. Their marriage certificate may be required. 


What you, the buyer, will need to provide:

- Evidence of the bank loan.

- An identity card or passport.

- A cheque book or some other means of payment. When you sign the Konvenju, you will need to pay the 10% deposit and 20% of the stamp duty. 

- Within 15 days from the date of the deed of transfer of property, your notary must register the property at the Land Registry, using the deed, the original registration plan, and a detailed plan.


Buy Property Webpage



How to Attract the Best Tenants

Renting out a property is like running a business. Companies spend time and money finding clients through adverts; they rely on cool imagery to attract consumers; and they like to keep customers happy.